Notifications
Clear all

High Open Electrical Short on my son’s 2017 Dyna Lowrider S  

RSS

"Blitz"
(@admin)
Admin Admin
August 5, 2020 3:44 pm  

A few months ago my son and I did some work on his 2017 Dyna Low Rider S, shortly there after he noticed that his running lights and fuel gauge were no longer functioning. He was getting the following Harley Davidson Error Codes b2151 , b2168 , b2156 and b1210. After the repair we were able to clear them all.

My son is stationed a few hours away from me and does not always have the ability to come to visit on the weekends. So I decided to take a look at the problem.

The error codes we were getting were spot on and it was regarding a short in the lighting system, once I isolated the circuit that was causing the problem it led me directly back to the work we had done previously. We put a saddlebag on the primary side of his Dyna and his responsibility was to make sure the wires were routed correctly, He claims he did it correctly so it must have been Aliens.

The left turn signal lead was pinched and after short use the wires completely shorted. After splicing the wires they were also wrapped in electrical tape and properly re-routed.

I hope this helps someone with the same problem. I have a background in Electronics so this was a simple troubleshoot, when doing this type of work see what the common point is, in this case looking at the wire diagram for his bike it showed me that his fuel gauge was wired into the lighting system. Service manuals and wiring diagrams you can’t go wrong. The odd’s of a module going bad if properly secured from vibration and movement is not that common.

wire damage
solder
rear lights

This topic was modified 2 months ago by "Blitz"

Frank "Blitz" Sellers

Share: